Sunday, August 5, 2007

Comics Dump, feat. Tank Girl

Remember Tank Girl? Well she's back, written by Alan Martin, the original writer, and now drawn by Ashley Wood, who's Australian and with a style that reminds me a lot of Dave McKean's work on Cages. It's been a while since I actually read some Tank Girl, but the original stuff is totally random, I mean it was written and drawn on the fly without any sense of what would happen next. This new material is written in episodes of a few pages each. Woods' art is reminescent of Hewlett's, but a lot sketchier, and wilder. Thus is the sort of no-holds-barred outrageousness I love in comics.


And here's an Alan Martin interview. And here's a Jamie Hewlett interview, he was the original artist and went on to co-create the Gorillaz.

I should also mention Telling Tall Tales, a webcomic by Parker Emerson, is worth checking out. Not only does it use photos for the artwork, but I met Parker when we were both studying abroad in England, and he's a really great guy.

No comments: